Deadline for applications is November 1 of odd numbered years
The Mark Scholar Awards were established in 2006 to recognize excellence in basic or applied research and leadership in polymer science by scientists of all ages. The awards are administered by the POLY division of the ACS. The award is presented biennially at the fall ACS National meeting (even years) during the POLY/PMSE award program. In each award cycle, one Mark Scholar from each of three categories is awarded:
- Herman F. Mark Young Scholar: age 35 or younger on January 1 of the year that the award is presented.
- Herman F. Mark Scholar: between the ages of 36 and 49 on January 1 of the year that the award is presented.
- Herman F. Mark Senior Scholar: age 50 or older on January 1 of the year that the award is presented.
Award: Awardees will receive a plaque and an honorarium of $1,500 which may be used towards expenses to attend the national ACS meeting at which the award is presented. The recipient is expected to present at a symposium in honor of the Mark Scholars Awardee at the fall ACS National meeting following the award announcement, organized by the POLY division programming chair and nominator. The award shall be granted to an individual without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, or sexual orientation.
Eligibility: A nominee must be a member or affiliate of the POLY division of ACS. Consideration will be given for research accomplishments and contributions to the advancement of polymer science through teaching, basic or applied research, technical leadership and scientific writings (such as technical journals or patents).
Nomination: Nominators must be a member or affiliate of the POLY division. Nomination packages should be sent by email as a single PDF file to the POLY division business office at firstname.lastname@example.org and should include (in order):
- A completed application form
- One nomination letter that highlights the impact of the nominee’s work in the specific award area (2 pages maximum)
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae (2 pages maximum, tailored to award)
- A complete list of scholarly works relevant to the award (e.g., publications, books, etc.)
|2020||Karen Winey||Mark Senior Scholar|
|Luis Campos||Mark Scholar|
|Frank Leibfarth||Mark Young Scholar|
|2017||James Hedrick||Mark Senior Scholar|
|Christopher Bowman||Mark Scholar|
|Garret Miyake||Mark Young Scholar|
|2015||Stuart Rowan||Mark Scholar|
|Brad Olsen||Mark Young Scholar|
|2013||Rigoberto Advincula||Mark Scholar|
|Rachel O’Reilly||Mark Young Scholar|
|2011||Jimmy Mays||Mark Senior Scholar|
|Tim Long||Mark Scholar|
|Javid Rzayev||Mark Young Scholar|
|2009||Jim Crivello||Mark Senior Scholar|
|Karen Wooley||Mark Scholar|
|2007||Krysztof Matyjaszewski||Mark Senior Scholar|
|Craig Hawker||Mark Scholar|
|Greg Tew||Mark Young Scholar|
For information on previous awardees: