Deadline for applications is October 31 of even numbered years
The Young Industrial Polymer Science Award was established to recognize outstanding industrial innovation and creativity in the application of Polymer Science, conducted by young individual scientists. This award was established in 2016 and is administered by the POLY Division of of ACS and is sponsored by the Industrial Advisory Board (IAB). The award is presented biennially in odd-numbered years in the fall at the national ACS meeting during the POLY/PMSE award program.
Award: Awardees will receive a plaque, an honorarium of $2,000, and reimbursement for reasonable travel expenses to the national ACS meeting at which the award is presented. The recipient is expected to present at a symposium in his/her honor at the national ACS meeting, organized by the POLY division programming chair and nominator. The award shall be granted to an individual without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, or sexual orientation.
Eligibility: A nominee must be a member or affiliate of the POLY division of ACS. Consideration will be given to nominees who have worked in an industrial facility for a minimum of 3 years, and are under the age of 40 years. Selection is based on the creative polymer science that they have conducted and their contributions to technological innovation in the relevant sector of the polymer industry. The nominee’s work must have been published externally, which includes any of the following: patent applications, technical journals, marketing materials, or technical presentations. The award shall be granted to an individual without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability, or sexual orientation. The nominee must be under the age of 40 years old at the time of nomination.
Nomination: Nominators must be a member or affiliate of the POLY division. Nomination packages should be sent by email as a single PDF file to the POLY division business office at email@example.com and should include (in order):
- A completed application form
- Nomination letter (3 pages maximum); the letter can include the nominee’s:
- Contributions to the advancement of polymer science in general
- Contributions to technology being implemented by a company
- Contributions to products being sold by a company
- Service or contributions to professional organizations such as (but not limited to): the ACS and its divisions, AiCHE, SPE, etc.
- Impact and value generation that the nominee has created within the company in generalities so as not to require disclosure of confidential information (eg. Trade secrets, Know-how, etc.)
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae (2 pages maximum)
- Two representative publications of the nominee (e.g., patent applications, technical journals, marketing materials, technical presentations)
- Two supporting letters (1 page per letter maximum)
For more information of previous awardees: